Community Action and Support for Education (CASE)
Community Action and Support for Education (CASE) Project is a 3-year project being implemented in Ghana by RAINS in partnership with Hope for Children UK. It is funded by UKAID through the UK Aid Match funding window.
The project seeks to improve access and quality of education for 1,400 children in the West Mamprusi and Nanton districts of the North East and Northern Regions of Ghana. Available statistics indicate that the districts basic school completion rates for education is below the national average. Also there is a high attrition rate and a low level of awareness on the basic rights of children.
The project is therefore working to improve the level of pupil’s retention in school and also the quality of education outcomes for children with a special interest on girls.
This projects adopts and integrated approach to addressing the root causes of the low standards in access and quality of education in its operating districts. This approach entails the following strands:
- Reducing child labour and socio-cultural barriers to education
- Reducing poverty that drives child labour and the financial barriers to education
- Improving quality of teaching in schools
- Empowering community members, leaders and children to be the drivers of change in their own communities to protect and promote the rights of children
- Strengthening District level government institutions/Assemblies to protect children from exploitative labour and abuse.
Through these strands, the project works both directly and indirectly with children (especially girls), women, communities, schools and government agencies such as the Ghana Education Service to support children’s access to better quality education, and more broadly to secure their basic human rights of protection, healthcare, participation and opportunities for a livelihood.
- Ghana Education Service
- Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice
- Department of Community Development and Social Welfare
- National Commission on Civic Education
- Ghana Health Service
- Eagle FM, Walewale